Re: Lag on internal network

At 19:59 28.7.2001, you wrote:
Hello
    I have a firewall setup using ipchains on Potato (2.2r3). It has been up
for a few months and I consistantly find that it take way longer to connect
to it using ssh on the internal network then it does if I try to connect
from the outside world.
I have two ethernet cards in, one used to connect to the outside world and
one for the inside.

Any ideas about what may or may not be going on.

Adam

I had something similar with POP, SMTP and SSH which I fixed today. Both getting mail from POP and sending SMTP mail came painfully slow. Browsing Debian/samba folder from Windows 2000 failed first time and succeeded only on second try. Curiously, SSH worked normally, but after giving password it would hang about for 30-40 seconds before letting in.

I had missplelled my internal network address on my local network computer on /etc/hosts. When doing reverse mapping services didn't find matching entry and couldn't recognize the machine right away
but instead tried to find it long time before accepting some action from it.

I must have done mistake 8 days ago when I reinstalled the whole Debian again. Atleast I don't recall changing the file after installing. Symptoms didn't appear right away, they started to appear about 5 days ago.

Antti

Antti

My PGP public key:
http://linux.tola.org/~chicken/antti_pgp.txt