Re: access to icq

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 11:19:20PM +0200, Mythiq wrote:
> Forwarding means that an incoming call is forwarded by the
> forwarding server to another server. eg when I log into an FTP
> server having IP 1.2.3.4 but that IP is actually nothing more
> than a forwarding firewall, MY IP is forwarded to the
> FTP-server that is actually behind the firewall. This FTP
> server could have an private IP like 192.168.55.12 or so.

> The connection is established transparently through the
> forwarding server which is masqerading the FTP server.

That would be what's commonly called "port forwarding."

That doesn't seem to be the case here.  What I was talking about
was "ip forwarding" which is just routing packets through a box
in one interface and out another (i.e. exactly what routers are
designed to do.)

Abu seems to have his box set up as a router, with no packet
filtering (or not enough.)  So this abuser is connecting
straight to the ICQ server (and whatever else) straight through
the box without any problems.

For Abu to stop this he should stop the Linux box from routing
packets through itself (i.e. disable ip forwarding) and/or put
in some packet filtering.

--
Michael Wood        | Tel: +27 21 762 0276 | http://www.kingsley.co.za/
wood@kingsley.co.za | Fax: +27 21 761 9930 | Kingsley Technologies