Re: icq through masqueraded firewall /socks4

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Paul Haesler wrote:

> Ah forget it.  It seems to work with outsiders - it's just transfers
> between clients on the LAN that doesn't work.
>
> Of course there are better ways to transfer files on the LAN than
> icq.  But it makes it difficult to test things.  Is there anything I can
> do to the proxy server to make this sort of thing work.  (internal
> client to internal client transfers mediated by an external server
> through socks4 proxy)?  Listen on the loopback address maybe?
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Look, I'm trying to get icq working on windoze client computers
> > on the private LAN through a Debian masquerading gateway
> > (ipchains - kernel 2.2.19).
> >
> > It used to work with just port forwarding but since upgrading to
> > icq 2000b, user to user file transfers and voice messages
> > don't work anymore.
> >
> > I've tried switching to a socks4 proxy server as that seemed to
> > be better supported by icq.  ICQ is connecting through
> > the socks4 proxy fine, but file transfers still don't work (at least
> > between clients on the LAN)

just a thought:

I tried icq the other night through kernel 2.4 masqerading and it worked
automagically

cheers

dc

Today people in droves hurry up past Heumoz to Villars
on the road to the ski hills, so they can rush down them
as fast as possible, so they can hurry up again in order
to rush down again.  In a way this is funny,...

			Francis A Schaeffer

David Purton

http://www.chariot.net.au/~dcpurton/
dcpurton@chariot.net.au