configuring kernel for firewall option

I would like to run ipchains as a firewall.

I am using the Debian kernel 2.2.18pre21 and notice
ipchains is installed already. However, the file:

     /proc/net/ip_fwchains

... is missing. According to the Linux HOWTO, that
means my kernel is not set up for it.
Is there an easy way to add the firewall options
to the kernel on a Debian setup or do I have to
reinstall a new kernel from scratch? Do I need to
utilize the "kernel-package" to do this?

--
Bill                             William Staniewicz
                                 Amsterdam, NL