Re: configuring kernel for firewall option

Yes, you need to recompile a kernel from scratch.

You mentioned you're from Amsterdam so maybe your Dutch is quite OK; if so
try this link: http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/debian/handleiding/ if you've
never compiled a Debian kernel.
If you have experience in compiling kernels or found a manual in your native
language, set the following options (at least):

http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.1 (see this link;
don't keep inventing the wheel...)

after that try the IPCHAINS Howto at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

if you run into trouble after this, do come back here. (this is not meant as
a discouragement to write to this list; I'm just pushing you into the right
directions to try to help you :)

greetz, best of luck,

Mythiq (also from Netherlands)