RE: Multiple DSLs, and switching incoming route upon failure?

Customers who purchase T1/T3 service generate more revenue for the ISP, and
although the difference may not justify the administrative overhead of
adding a BGP customer, most do not request this.  Some organizations (BEST
Internet, before Verio gobbled them up, for example) charge an additional
fee for BGP.  They charged 500$/Mo.

Address space is also an issue.  You cannot announce blocks smaller than /24
into global BGP and expect the results you want.  Some networks are still
filtering announcements smaller than /19 within some ranges, SprintLink for
example, as they took steps years ago to counteract routing table growth,
and this remains a problem even as routers become more powerful and memory
gets cheaper.

I do not know how the 6BONE scenario would work.  It was a shot from the
hip, I'm sure you could do some research in this area, or perhaps someone
else subscribed to the list can tell us how the 6BONE interoperates with the
current IPv4.

If you had a colocated server on a reliable IP connection you could VPN
yourself a subnet from it over either of your two DSL routes.  This might be
sane but would cause you to incur a lot of bandwidth bills. :-)

- jsw