Re: turning off exim on port 25

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 03:11:54PM -0500, Rich Puhek wrote:
> Yes, Exim will still deliver from the queue (there's a cron
> job to run every 30 minutes), and exim will still send
> outgoing email if needed. I use exim on any of my machines
> that will not be receiving mail for a domain. By eliminating
> the smtp line from inetd.conf, I don't show up with an active
> port 25 to tempt spammers. Output of cron jobs and the like
> will still be passed on to my smarthost.

I have not used Exim before, but one can probably disable
outgoing SMTP connections too, if one really only wants local
delivery.  (The original poster wanted to deliver mail only on
the box itself.)

Postfix can do it (by editing /etc/postfix/masters.cf), and I am
pretty sure Smail could/can do it, so I would expect Exim also
to be able to do it.  Just don't ask me how :)

--
Michael Wood        | Tel: +27 21 762 0276 | http://www.kingsley.co.za/
wood@kingsley.co.za | Fax: +27 21 761 9930 | Kingsley Technologies