Re: Security: port-fw vs. ip-aliasing

It all comes down to how much spare equipment you have. It's always safer to have the services running on a DMZ network. That way you're not opening up your firewall to the various attacks associated with the various Net services. If you've got two routers and a spare machine to provide the bastion-host then you're set. If not, then you do the best you can.

Ask yourself, "what is my security requirement and how much can I spend on installing my defenses?".

I personally would not choose to run my mail and website on the same machine as I'm using for a firewall.