Re: DMZ

Actually 3 nics isn't necessary.  Here's my setup:

internet <--> dsl router <--> firewall eth0--> 10.0.x.x lan
           aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd<-- eth1 --> 10.1.x.x dmz

eth1 is aliased on aaa.x and 10.1.x where aaa.x is a public ip. However, you do need 3 subnets, I just have two subnets on the external nic.

The caveat?  Anything on the lan segment between the dsl router and the firewall can dump the traffic that goes to the dmz or internet.  However, I'm not concerned about that traffic, as the dmz untrusted anyway, and that particular segment is all in house.

I'm using iptables, because the ipchains ruleset for the above is more involved.  The stateful ruleset is simpler, although may take a little study. (at least it did for me).

Plus with iptables you can easily do destination nat (portforwarding) and masquerading, without messing with ipmasqadm.  See samba.netfilter.org for the howtos.

Cory