Re: RTP Proxy / Masquerading RTP Traffic

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 07:57:47AM +1000, Peter Ludwig wrote:
> I am attempting to configure a system here that will have at least one
> workstation behind it that has a webcam and microphone.  The user of this
> machine (me) would like to be able to use both of them for internet-chat (I
> have a DSL connection, I should be able to get some use out of it *lol*),
> however, while I can transmit audio and video streams, I am unable to
> receive them.  I have read the documentation for the various packages (from
> microsoft netmeeting (yuck!) to speak-freely for windows), and neither of
> those two packages tell me anymore than "You need to open up some ports on
> the firewall".
>
> Speak Freely's documentation gave me some ports to work with, but that did
> not seem to help any, so now I am left with trying to figure out a better
> way of doing this (as in I would like if at all possible to be able to do
> this on a friends server where they run two pc's behind the firewall that
> have mic's connected), or figuring out how to get this to function
> correctly.  I would prefer to go the RTP proxy method as this would allow me
> to have a large quantity of machines behind the firewall, instead of just
> the one machine with port redirections.
>
> Any advice here would help greatly.

Hi Peter,

Why not run tcpdump on another console (or in screen) to find out what
ports the programs you want to use are trying to communicate on?

Or add logging rules to your drop statement(s) on your firewall to log
whatever's getting dropped so you can tell what's happening.

--
Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>