Re: Port Forwarding and Apache Virtual Hosts.

Phill Kenoyer wrote:

> I just ran into a problem.
>
> I have a host on the private network that has four websites running on
> it.  I have a firewall setup that forwards port 80 to the box.
>
>         x.x.x.35:80>10.0.0.35:80
>
> All the websites go to the same place.  The first <virtualhost>. I'm
> guessing that the hostname is not being passed over...

Actually you have the apache config file setup wrong.  Use
the host names in the virtual hosts portion of the config
file, and there is at least one other config option that
specifies what name to use for generated links.  That should
be set so the incoming name is used.  All about how to do
this is in the apache documentation.  Just follow the
procedures for setting up a virtual host.  That's what I
did, and it worked the first time.

> I'm thinking at this point that I did my firewall wrong.  Do I even need
> to forward ports to private subnet?  I'm really new to this stuff.  I
> just had this though just now...  Maybe I should put the servers back on
> the public addresses and then setup the firewall to block traffic on all
> ports except for the ones I want open (22, 25, 80, 110).

I just route via port forwarding all port 80 requests to the
same machine/IP#.

--
|  Bryan Andersen   |   bryan@visi.com   |   http://softail.visi.com   |
| Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |