Re: How to apply kernel-patch-freeswan the Debian way?

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Rogerio Brito wrote:

> 	The debian way of compiling a kernel (with possibly any
> 	patches applied) is to use the package kernel-package. I don't
> 	use it because I don't like anything editing my lilo.conf
> 	file, but some people like it's ability to make debianized
> 	kernels.

eh?  kernel-package doesn't edit *my* lilo.conf...  It does call
lilo to install the new kernel image, but thats it afaics

> 	BTW, I'd recommend you to get a Kernel 2.2.18 proper (stock,
> 	Linus version) and not a Debian's patched kernel (or at least,
> 	evaluate the patches applied by Debian, deciding if you need
> 	them).

If you're upgrading, why not go to 2.2.19prex (latest is 17), I've
had real good luck with the 19pre series (and 2.4.2ac at work - waiting
till the scsi bug is surely gone before I install it at home).  There
are performance *and* security reasons to go the whole nine yards

--
Rick Nelson
<dark> "Hey, I'm from this project called Debian... have you heard of it?