Re: 2 Nic cards

On 03/03/2001 10:37:17 PM jurie wrote:

>> Two ethernet cards should work just fine with the initial install,
provided that
>> they are both PCI, or one PCI, one ISA.  I have never had any trouble
with this
>> kind of configuration.  When you are loading the modules, you are
prompted for
>> additional parameters.  If the system has trouble locating them both,
you can
>> usually specify IRQs, base addresses, etc. depending on the module.
>>
>> I see no reason not to have both cards in the macine during the install.
>>
>> If you were dealing with two ISA NICs, it would be a whole different
ballgame.

Two ISA's aren't exactly the end of the world either.  All you have to do:

1) Boot without either card in the machine.
2) more /proc/ioports and more /proc/interrupts searching for available
spots.
3) Configure the cards appropriately to use those spaces / interrupts and
plug them in.
4) Add a line like the one below to /etc/modules either manually or using
modconf.

$ grep ne /etc/modules
ne io=0x300,0x320 irq=10,12
$