Re: firewall and ip-masquerading

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Runar Bell wrote:

> I got the following error message:
> ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) where do I find the information on how to compile (and install) a
> regular kernel with support for ip-masquerading ? (Or could any of you
> please provide me with the information needed?)

You may have to recompile a new kernel with the firewalling and
masquerading features enabled. If you have the kernel source installed
cd to /usr/src/linux and run 'make menuconfig' and browse through
all the choices and read the help screens.

> 2) What is the chance of success for a first-timer?

Reasonably good if you have patience and you take it a step at a time.
I would also recommend using the Debian way of producing a kernel
using 'kernel-package'. Your life will be easier for it.

Regards,

Terry.

Selterra Communications                  admin@selterra.com