Static Routes in Debian

Greetings,

I'm trying to figure out where to put static routes under Debian.

The /etc/network/interfaces talks about an optional 'gateway'
address.. (default gateway).

I have one machine which has some mysterious directories in
/etc/networking:

  if-down.d
  if-pre-up.d
  if-post-down.d
  if-up.d

[I say mysterious, because it was a machine that I installed
2.4.0-test9 on, and I had to install a whole stack of other packages
to get iptables to work.. this was a while ago.]

They don't exist on any of my other Debian 2.2 machines.
These directories seem to be the right place to put a static route
creating script... but I don't know how they're called either.
I'm familiar with the /etc/ppp/ip-up.d directory (and runparts).

Paul
--
Paul Schulz, pschulz@foursticks.com.au
Foursticks Systems Pty Ltd, http://www.foursticks.com.au