Re: windows access to linux server modem

On Thu, 01 Feb 2001, Michael Wood wrote:
> Oh, pppd also supports demand dialling (with the "demand"
> option) but as far as I know, you can't (on Linux anyway)
> restrict what packets cause the box to dial etc., whereas you
> can with diald.  Check the pppd man page for details.

pppd with demand dialing will do it on every packet. After watching
the traffic for a while (iptraf) i decided to turn demand dialing off
and to further deny connections to certain IP adresses at all. This
windows and some apps feel very free to tell some servers (eg.
microsoft.com) what is going on on your box.

Meanwhile though we have a free system back here, because win is only
once in a while running inside some emulator that allows even tighter
control of the networking.

As we are on debian-firewall, a closer look on firewalling and
masquerading (you may start with the HowTo in the docs section)
might be worthwhile.

greetings, martin