Re: windows access to linux server modem

Hi

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 10:06:35AM -0500, mheyes@lincolnfp.com wrote:

> I guess this is what is confusing to me. I didn't think that
> the Windows client box would be able to see anything
> (partitions, software, devices) on the Linux server box. If

That's right, unless you had some sort of software on the Linux
box giving access to the hardware and then have special drivers
on the Windows box to make it think the devices are attached to
it instead of on a machine across the network :)

[snip]
> So with diald setup and running on the Linux server all I need
> to do is configure the Windows network for the correct
> ethernet address?

You just set up the Windows box with TCP/IP.  Set up the linux
box as the default gateway.

You may want to use "private" IP addresses for your internal
network and then use NAT or IP MASQ on the Linux box to
"translate" those addresses to the "public" address assigned to
your Linux box when it dials in.

Private IP addresses are IP addresses like the following:
	192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 or
	172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 or
	10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255

Check RFC1918 for details.

Oh, pppd also supports demand dialling (with the "demand"
option) but as far as I know, you can't (on Linux anyway)
restrict what packets cause the box to dial etc., whereas you
can with diald.  Check the pppd man page for details.

--
Michael Wood        | Tel: +27 21 762 0276 | http://www.kingsley.co.za/
wood@kingsley.co.za | Fax: +27 21 761 9930 | Kingsley Technologies