RE: newbie networking

Could I offer another option.
You could use pppd and a chat script to handle the dialing then put demand
in ppp options. This will have the same affect as the diald.

I myself have this setup so that after idle (120seconds) the connection
hangs up. Have this with an good ipchains script and you should have a good
setup.

However from what I have read from the first Email, are you wanting to use
the deivce directly much like a CDROM drive on a network.?

Garry Robertson.