Re: Iptables FW under 2.4.0-test11

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, S.Salman Ahmed wrote:

> What packages would I need to run an iptables firewall on the headless
> server ? I am already running woody on both systems.

Just iptables is required.  You've got to compile the support for the
relevant natfilter components, which is the hard bit.

> Also, how much easier, if at all, is iptables to administer and setup
> compared to ipchains ?

You'll think it's harder because it's new.  The basic stuff isn't any easier
(and not even all that different) but doing more complex things is *so* much
easier, because it's all done with one tool, and it's all done in a standard
manner.

> Can someone point me to docs on setting up IPTables ? I had a look at
> the Linux-2.4-PacketFiltering HOWTO located at:
>
> http://netfilter.kernelnotes.org/unreliable-guides/packet-filtering-HOWTO.html
>
> but the document seems to be dated May 01/2000. I was hoping that there
> was a more up-to-date version of the same document somewhere.

Have you tried the official netfilter HOWTO?

http://samba.org/netfilter/<something>

It's all you need at first - the overview and the differences (because
you'll get into auto-chains mode and it'll be subtly different under
netfilter).

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer
mjp16@uow.edu.au