Re: the marriage of wireless and wireful (solution)

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Paul Phillips wrote:

> [The printer network hardware -- it's an HP JetDirect 170x]
>
>      IP = 192.168.0.250
> netmask = 255.255.0.0
> gateway = 192.168.0.1

Yes.  Those of you who pointed out the netmask is not only wrong, it's the
whole problem, were correct.

How, in a setup of some moderate complexity, might one have an obviously
wrong netmask and not notice, you might ask? It's the old classic.  I
logged into the printer to make another change (fixing the gateway IP) and
like a genius decided to make two changes at once, just to see what would
happen.  I guess "these emails" were what would happen.

In repentance I'm going to go... um... hack.  Thanks all.

--
Paul Phillips      | Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile
Protagonist        | in his shoes.  That way, when you criticize him, you