Re: Firewall with dynamic IP

You might want to try something like this for /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks
if you're using the ISC dhcp client.

if [ x$reason = xBOUND ] || [ x$reason = xRENEW ] || \
   [ x$reason = xREBIND ] || [ x$reason = xREBOOT ]; then
  mail -s "new dhcp address = $new_ip_address" user@somewhere </dev/null
fi

The above code hasn't been tested. You should be able to use a mail
client without a mail server running.

If you don't even have mail clients, you could telnet to port 25 and use
<<! to inline the commands to send mail manually, use some perl code
to mail (I think there are some modules for SMTP support), ftp a file
(again, you might need to use <<! to generate ftp commands) containing
your new address to your web page (that's what I do.)