Re: CPU for firewall machine?

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 04:35:36PM -0300, John Ackermann wrote:
[snip description of firewall with three interfaces]
> I have a nice small box with a 486DX4/100 in it, and am wondering if that's
> sufficient horsepower for this sort of application, or whether I should be
> looking at a Pentium.

A 486DX4/100 is plenty for this application. I use a 486SX/25 to firewall
my house from my ADSL connection. It masq's and port forwards just fine.

[snip stuff about 100Mbps vs 10Mbps]
> Will there be a significant impact
> if the servers have to switch to 10MB mode to talk with the firewall (the
> internal network is all 10MB, so there's no issue on that side).

Well, since your net connection isn't 10Mbps, I don't think it's
a problem for you DMZ boxen to be limited to 10Mbps.

--
Luca Filipozzi
[dpkg] We are the apt. Resistance is futile. You will be packaged.