IP-Masquerade

Hi... I'm an absolute newbie to Debian Linux. I had this guy come visit and
set up a Debian server using Ip-Masq and forwarding. He set it up to "Dial
on Demand" and "Forward IP requests" just the usual things.
 It was going real well in a P75 with 32 meg of ram... It was set up so I
could do a simple PON or POFF command to initiate it. For one reason or
another I had to shut it down using the CTRL-ALT-DEL command. I flicked the
power off and Subsequently on restarting the "Server" again. The forwarding
(when you look at the system log) is being denied for one reason or
another... is there a command that I have to type (before the PON
command)say as root or something to initiate it.
  I'm not very good at command line... so this might be tricky for you guys
to help me.
Cheers
Geoff
A Real Newbie