Non-routing IP addresses

I know that if you are using NAT, you are supposed to use the private:

10.0.0.0    - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0  - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.268.255.255

These are said to be "non-routing". My problem is my current employer uses a
11.x.x.x (parent company used 10.x.x.x). So I have the following questions:

1. Do these private address increase security in any way?
2. Since we use NAT, no 11.x.x.x addresses get to the net, so is there any
reason to switch, other than recommended convention?
3. Why are they "non-routing"? Or do my specs need an upgrade...and I'm
talking glasses. I haven't seen anything other than "you should..." in the
HOWTOs.
4. (possibly redundant) Does using a non-private IP behind a NAT break
anything? (besides actually getting to real 11.x.x.x)

The reason I'm asking, is the amount of labor involved in becoming
compliant. Any response would be appreciated. Thank You.

No .sig, life is too short.