Re: ipchains deprecated?

Not quite.

There is an ipchains (and ipfwadm, as well) module for netfilter
that lets you use ipchains (or ipfwadm) instead of the new iptable
stuff that is more standard for netfilter; using those compatibility
modules prevents the use of the new tools and other new modules, so
I'd suggest using them only for the first phase of an upgrade, and
then converting your old ipchains calls to iptable et al.

--
Elie Rosenblum                 That is not dead which can eternal lie,
http://www.cosanostra.net   And with strange aeons even death may die.