Re: ipchains deprecated?

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Michael Meskes wrote:

> Is ipchains already deprecated? I just read that the networking code has
> been changed yet again for kernel 2.3. Does it still make sense to set
> up a firewall using ipchains or is it a better idea to set it up with a
> development kernel now?

Yes it is deprecated w/the new 2.4 version of the kernel.  No, I would not
go to the unstable kernel just for that reason alone.  Ipchains may be a
bit confusing, but it is astoundingly similar to CISCO's own ip filtering
rules.  Learning IP-Chains has given me a much better understanding of
TCP/IP than I possibly could have learned from any book or lecture.

If you're concerned about deprecation, don't worry too much.  There are
enough users out there and developers who will likely write a wrapper
script to port the old 2.0 and 2.2 kernel firewall rules into the new 2.4.

Chad Walstrom                         mailto:chewie@wookimus.net
a.k.a ^chewie, gunnarr               http://wookimus.net/~chewie

   Gnupg = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD