Re: VPN to a host behind the firewall

Jarle Aase wrote:

> I have a firewall running Linux 2.12 kernel with patch from kerneli.org, Debian Slink (latest stable) and ipchains 1.3.9 (compiled from the original source).
>
> The setup is like this:
>
>    Internal net, non-legal IP series, masqueraded
>       Firewall
>   Internet router
>
> A NT server on the internal net should now be used as a VPN server for Win98 clients
> connecting from Internet. NT use IP protocol 47 (gre) for VPN. The firewall is not
> responsible for any security issues on this protocol.
Why not use the firewall as a pptp server ? That would be the best way
since VPNs are designed to give access to an internal LAN (possibly with
private IP addresses) from outside the network.

You can download my pptpd (a PPTP server implementation for Linux)
package for slink from
ftp://ftp.vianova.at/pub/debian-packages/slink-updates/pptpd_0.9.13-1_i386.deb

You need a patched kernel for this which can be found under
ftp://ftp.vianova.at:/pub/debian-packages/potato-packages/kernel-image-2.2.13_2.2.13.mppe_i386.deb
and a patched pppd from
ftp://ftp.vianova.at:/pub/debian-packages/slink-updates/ppp_2.3.8.mscrypt-1_i386.deb
if you want data encryption using mppe.

greets,
Rene