system requirements

[please Cc: me with your replies]
Well, I've finally convinced my boss to take Linux seriously and get a
firewall (since the University I attend and work for, that shall remain
nameless, does not have one). She asked me a question that rather floored
me - if we get an older PC to just be a dedicated firewall machine, what
are the min. system requirements for it not to slow anything down? I
wasn't sure how to answer that, although I think pretty much anything
above a 486 with an acceptable amount of RAM will do...this will be for a
department, several NT servers, 2 Solaris boxes, other assorted stuff. Any
help, pointers, URLs, etc would be appreciated!

---
Hlade's Law:
        If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person -- they
	will find an easier way to do it.

D'jinnie/Jinn, encountered on IRC and select MU**. (jinn@irony.org)
finger jinn@irony.org for PGP public key
ICQ #28708130