Re: Hacker's best friends

Hello Jochen,

On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 04:35:19PM +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to screen a foreign network for possible security problems.
> (The admin knows. :-) Can anyone recommend books, tools, sources
> or other things that help me? In particular I'd like to know how
>
> 	- screen ports

nmap is the tool which includes all known port scanning techniques, it can
scan complete subnets.

> 	- given a certain port number, find out what service it
> 	  is running (besides consulting /etc/services, of course :-)

Hmm... dont know any real good tool for that (other than doing a telnet ;)

> 	- given a certain service,  find out about possible
> 	  security holes of that service, at least by citing
> 	  a CERT document or something similar

satan is the solution, but not very current I'm afraid.

> 	- ideally try WinNuke, Teardrop, 64k-Ping or other well
> 	  known security holes

Those (especially the DenyOfService ones) are tested by Nessus, which is
about to become the next Satan-like scanner.

Greetings
Bernd

PS: all of those tools are listed on the freefire-page.
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --
  o--o     *plush*  2048/93600EFD  eckes@irc  +497257930613  BE5-RIPE