Re: Start up scripts

	Henry Hollenberg     speed@barney.iamerica.net

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Peter Tobias wrote:

> On Mar 4, Henry Hollenberg wrote:
> > in /etc/init.d/netbase:
> > comment out the portmap daemon, don't need to do RPC.
> >
> > I'm not sure why the script exits if /usr/sbin/portmap does not exist.
>
> The /etc/init.d/netbase script will not be removed when you remove
> the netbase package. It will only be removed when you purge the
> package. The test makes sure that the script will simply exit when
> the binaries are not available.

Does each script have a seperat package?

> > Can't /usr/sbin/initd run stand-alone?
>
> inetd can run standalone.
>
> > I figure we need keep /usr/sbin/initd to invoke smtp services for
> > connection requests to port 25.
>
> If you don't need inetd for other services it would be better to forget
> inetd and use the smtp program in standalone mode.

You know I was looking back thru my O'reilly book today and noticed some
more stuff:

They said to ditch routed....shouldn't need it since it's only for dynamic
stuff and all routes on the firewall will be set up staticly.

And if we don't need inetd or portmap we can cut /etc/init.d/netbase as
well.

So, More start up script cuts:

/etc/init.d/netstd_init
/etc/init.d/netbase