LinuxWorld, New York status report

[sorry for the very broad CC]

First, I'd like to say **THANKS** in big glowing letters to Susan for
taking the booth scheduling initiative.  I haven't been as available as I
would like lately for a number of reasons[*].

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 06:31:16PM -0500, Francois Gurin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 03:04:32PM -0500, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:
> > Jaldhar wrote:
> > > How about one developer and one or more enthusiastic  users?  If we
> > > asked on debian-user, we would probably get some responses.
> > I, for one, encourage Jaldhar to go ahead and do just that, since otherwise
> > we will definitely be short of manpower.
> >
> > Meantime, I'm cc'ing this to the list that Remco kindly set up for
> > this dicussion, i.e.:  debian-events-na
> >
> > I hope we can continue this discussion on that list.  However, I do not
> > know if that list is open to users.
>
> I just cleared myself a day and can help out at the booth.  Whichever
> day works out best for to be on duty, let me know.

How about Thursday?

Johnie Ingram (netgod) is, I think available part of the time, as are a
couple of friends of his, Sonja and Genise.

I'd like to (tentatively, of course) propose that we have at least 3 people
set up for booth duty per day.  Only two people should be needed at any one
time, but who wants to man the booth for a solid day?

Of course, I will be available to take up the slack at just about any time.

So, how about this?:

Wednesday:  Jaldhar, Branden, (Sonja | Johnie | Genise)
Thursday:   Adam, Branden, (Sonja | Johnie | Genise)
Friday:     Susan, Branden, Francois, (Sonja | Johnie | Genise)

If possible, I'd like to have 1 day (mostly) off from booth duty, but we'll
see if that works out.

I'll probably be unavailable around Thursday at 4pm because I will need to
present at the Maximum Linux/Progeny laptop raffle.

Now, here's the news:

BOOTH LOCATION:

Officially, Debian has booth #969.  This is outside the .Org Pavilion, and
is not prewired for electricity or network.  This is bad.  We will have to
beg or borrow these things off of neighbor booths.

**HOWEVER**

Back channel communications (no official emails yet, unfortunately)
indicate that VA may regard it as a screwup that a booth was not reserved
in the .Org Pavilion for Debian.  So it is *possible* that we will be
relocated to the .Org Pavilion, where we'll have carpet, electricity, and
network.

Probably won't know for sure until tomorrow morning when I go talk to the
Powers That Be.

EQUIPMENT:

Sun is loaning us a nice computer again, an Ultra10 and a flat panel LCD
display.  This will probably be the centerpiece of our booth since I know
of no other computers that will be around, except for the Progeny laptop
from time to time as I finish tweaking it into shape.

I am bringing a 5-port dual-speed hub.

If someone wants wireless out of the Debian booth, you'll need to bring a
base station.  :)

CONTACT INFO:

I am flying out shortly.  During show hours I hope to have access to my
email.  I may be able to get access to a cell phone; if and when I do I
will send email with the number.

Otherwise, anyone attending can call me at my hotel:

(212) 971-0101 -- the room is in my name

If for some reason hotel voice mail is broken, nonexistent, or otherwise, I
will from time to time check my home voice mail; that number is
(317) 841-8285.

If anyone is interested in getting together for dinner tonight, please call
my hotel.  My flight arrives at 7:10pm EST and I hope to be to my room by
9pm.

[*] Including being gagged on the #debian-devel IRC channel by doogie, who
apparently would rather use chanop power to abuse other developers than enforce
the channel's charter as a forum for Debian *developers* (and people
sponsored by them).  How petty can you get?  :-/

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Convictions are more dangerous enemies
Debian GNU/Linux                |    of truth than lies.