Re: Debian at Chemnitzer Linuxtage 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Thomas Templin wrote:

May be it's an Idea to have some kind of DEBIAN-Universe Poster which
shows all Debian cdd's in a map like style. And where all connections
are shown by linking lines like a mesh / net.
This sounds like a good idea.  Any artists around?

Not only the original debian cdd's but also the debian flavours which
where offered by companies, eg. EROSS-3 of credativ in the public
sector and others. This will show that debian is a platform which
generates a common good on which companies set up their own buisines,
aside giving support for "the Debian" itself.
The problem is to decide which to include and which not.  There are
several "real" (= Debian internal) CDDs which exist more or less "on paper".
Moreover there might be many derivatives of Debian out there which we
do not even know of.  Just think of the uncountable amount of Knoppix
derivatives, which fall in princeple below the criteriumyou mentioned.

Doing so this might give 'political' arguments to people of the public
sector or governmental institutions.

- It may help people to see which cdd is the best for their needs
In principle yes - but as I said it has to be taken with a grain of
salt.

- It may cause some confusion for visitors.
We should ensure that booth personal is able to clarify this.
Unfortunately I noticed that even DDs sometimes do not know
anything about CDDs.

- It might be a chance to winn more people to support Debian. So my
 medicus / doctor always asks me "Whats new in Debian med?". :)
 I introduced debian-med to her last year.
Nice.  But to be honest: If he wants to manage his practice with Debian-Med
I can not give him a good advise even for Edge - at least if we get Edge
out in say the next 5 years.

 BTW. I think that debian-med has the perspective to become as
 successful as skolelinux / Debian Edu. The costs of software in the
 medical field are horrible here in germany.
_IF_ there are people who join efforts like GnuMed to build a solid
practice management system, I'm very optimistic.  But currently the
manpower here is quite low.  Currently it is much more important to
help those Upstream programs.  Inclusion into Debian id fairly cheap
(even if not easy) compared to this.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--