Re: review: Linux@Work Frankfurt

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 05:51:54PM +0200, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> - We were the only booth from a Linux distribution, so we needed to
>   handle the question from Debian interessted AND the request from
>   people, who barely know, what Linux. Allthough we were 3, we were
>   very busy handling all the questions. Keep in mind, that most people
>   will come in the pauses between the notes.

As Alex said, there were a lot of 'what about support questions' from
people.  Also, many people had heard about SuSE/Red Hat and not much else,
and wanted to know what makes Debian different.

They also expected the CDs to have some sort of catch, or be a demo version
only.

>   so realy raw guess would be about 85 Visitors.
>   Hmmm, coming nearly direct from LT that sounds quite small.

There were quite a few who didn't take CDs, so you could adjust upwards a
bit.

I enjoyed the day, and was glad to have the chance to get to know Alex and
Michael.

> One final point: They handed out some advertissment for the LinuxWorld
> Expo in Frankfurt at the end of october. As Michael Meskes told me,
> Debian could get a booth, and I'm willing to help, but I will spend
> much time in september and october for the orientation week for our new
> students, so I would be pleased, if we could plan it early.

You can probably count me in, too, although I'm not sure I would be able to
be there all of the 3 days.  There are two other DDs in Frankfurt we could
ask, too.

I went to the exhibition last year.  SuSE had a large stand and I think Red
Hat were there too, but the .org pavillion wasn't very busy.  There were
stands from KDE, samba and Wine I think.  But it was much much bigger than
Linux@Work, and took place at the same time and same place as the European
Banking exhibition, which brought more poeple in.  I went to talks by Bruce
Perrens and Miquel de Icaza.

Chris