Re: LinuxTag CDs - my opinion (as if anybody cares)

Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> That's what I expected :) It was the only conclusion I came to
> considering your mail and that there is no main mirror on pandora.

Yes, I figured out that pandora doesn't have a mirror only later. A
possibility would be to keep a small partial mirror of only the packages
we need on pandora, or use a different machine...

> I have a machine with a local mirror but I can't say if I can give
> anybody access to it. My boss is out of town - I can ask him though.
> That machine would have a lot of disk space we could use for the
> discs.

That sounds good. How much bandwidth would that machine have for us to
download images for testing? Is it connected to the DFN (which would
probably to the fasted for most of us)?

> Another question is how to organize the package on the cds. Do we want
> to maintain the pool structure there? I would say yes, since you could
> that as a starting point if you want your own mirror. But we should
> have symlinks from the section directories as well to not confuse
> old users.

IIRC the plans for the woody release images are definetely to have
pools, and it is also what I would favour. The question is what we are
doing with those packages not in pools yet?  Should we move them to
pools on our cd? It would seems most consistent to more, and better than
have packages in the pool and in the dists structure. I should probably
have a look at debian-cd and how it copes with pools. Does anybody know?

Roland

--
Roland Bauerschmidt