Re: printing in Active Directory environnement

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:09:16PM GMT, yvan.masson@openmailbox.org wrote:

> In my case, IT staff needs accounting on the printers (how many pages
> did this user printed, etc), all managed by Windows servers. There is
> already Windows accounting softwares to do that.  On the other hand,
> most of the computers are used by different students.
>
> So I think these two points require me to set up Linux printing
> (Debian in my case) "the same way" that Windows does.
>
> Sorry, my answer is very general, because I don't know exactly how it
> should work.

Hi Yvan,

My setup is pretty much the same as yours - Windows with Active
Directory authentication (including Windows print servers, which support
SMB, IPP and LPD printing) and Linux on clients workstations. The only
difference is that we use Windows 2008 R2 and Ubuntu 12.04. LDAP for
user and group data and Kerberos for authentication.

I've been trying to do the same very same thing as you for quite some
time now. The problem is exactly as you have described - the 'smb'
backend doesn't work correctly with Kerberos. I couldn't get the 'ipp'
working with GSSAPI either (not sure if it is the same issue with
KRB5CCNAME).

I have left it using the 'lpd' backend without authentication, but at
least usernames are being recorded properly.

Why does it take so long to fix this is beyond me.

I will give the 'openSUSE' solution a try and see how it goes.

It's good to see that I'm not alone but I would much rather prefer us
posting *success* stories.

Let me know how you getting on.

Cheers,

rjc