Re: Debian and transparent Windows like ACLs on Samba

On 09/15/2010 03:50 PM, Stephen Marron wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 15/09/10 17:58, Guido Günther wrote:
>> Hi Luk,
>> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 07:51:18AM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> In our organisation we would want to provide to our users the
>>> opportunity to use Windows like ACLs in a transparent way (aka behaviour
>>> when NFS mounted is similar than behaviour when use via Samba).
>>>
>>> AFAICS currently this does not seem possible within Debian as:
>>>  * POSIX ACLs are confusing for users and clearly not good enough a
>>> match for Windows like ACLs
>>>  * storing the extra flags outside the filesystem while using POSIX ACLs
>>> means a non-transparent solution
>>>  * storing the extra flags inside the filesystem is currently not
>>> working with at least ext2fs, ext3fs, ext4fs (does someone know a
>>> filesystem that is working besides zfs?)
>> ext3 supports extended attributes with the user_xattr mount option, XFS
>> has them enabled by default. These could be used to store the flags in
>> the filesystem.
>>  -- Guido
>
> ext2/3/4/btr support the user_xattr mount option which allows user
> extended attributes on the file system but unless you are using these to
> store custom NFSv4 ACL attributes you probably just want the acl option
> which enables POSIX ACLs

I'm not sure Samba will use that. AFAIK, it won't, but I guess I could
try it out.

> As far as NFS and ACLs go the main problem is that there are two
> versions of ACLs and its very easy to get them mixed up...

Well the key point is not that NFS is used, as the same issue happens
when users can change it directly on the Samba server. Though thanks for
the summary and the links :-)

Cheers

Luk