Re: Update repository management

Craig Miskell <craig.miskell@opus.co.nz> writes:

> 	We manage 100+ Debian servers in our organisation, and are looking
> for some sort of system that will let us easily mirror package updates
> selectively.  I'm thinking of a web-based or text-curses based interface
> that shows updated packages that are available upstream, and allow us to
> then select them to be downloaded to our internal mirror.  Ideally we'd
> then have multiple "distributions", e.g.: testing, limitedeployment,
> production so that we can move the updates through a life cycle from
> initial testing in a test environment, to deployment on some low-risk
> servers, and finally into full production.

> With such a system in place, we can then just schedule all our servers
> to do an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade from the mirror and only get
> the updates that have been approved to be deployed to that server (based
> on which "distribution" it connects to).

I don't think there's anything like that that's already built, but I think
that you could build that on top of reprepro using both a pull list and
then the reprepro commands for moving things between distributions.  You'd
still have to write the web interface, since I don't think anyone's done
that part, but I think it's only the UI that needs to be written and the
reprepro commands will do nearly all the rest of the work.