Re: cross compile mips on x86_64: pcre?

On Friday 5. September 2014 17.14.10 Paul Boddie wrote:

> Now I just need to build a cross-gcc package, hoping that the following
> instructions work with the current packages...
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/MultiarchCrossToolchainBuild#Local_building_of_mult
> iarch_cross- toolchains

Unfortunately, even with a binutils package built and installed, building gcc
(in this case gcc-4.8_4.8.3-10, but I also tried and failed with
gcc-4.9_4.9.1-12) seems to bring about a problem with dh_strip and objcopy:

dh_strip -plibgo4 --dbg-package=libgo4-dbg
objcopy: Unable to recognise the format of the input file
`debian/libgo4/usr/lib/mipsel-linux-gnu/libgo.so.4.0.0'
dh_strip: objcopy --only-keep-debug debian/libgo4/usr/lib/mipsel-linux-
gnu/libgo.so.4.0.0 debian/libgo4-dbg/usr/lib/debug//usr/lib/mipsel-linux-
gnu/libgo.so.4.0.0 returned exit code 1
debian/rules.d/binary-go.mk:141: recipe for target 'stamps/08-binary-stamp-
libgo' failed

I'm guessing that the wrong objcopy is invoked here, but I have no idea how
this would be fixed. Earlier in the build output the following occurs:

dh_strip -plibgcc-4.8-dev
strip: Unable to recognise the format of the input file `debian/libgcc-4.8-
dev/usr/lib/gcc/mipsel-linux-gnu/4.8/libgcc.a(_m16subsf3.o)'

(And lots of other lines for other object files presumably incorporated into
the library.)

Various packages do get created before this fatal error:

gcc-4.8-base_4.8.3-10_mipsel.deb
libgcc-4.8-dev_4.8.3-10_mipsel.deb
libobjc-4.8-dev_4.8.3-10_mipsel.deb

So, either these are being created with dubious contents (although they look
OK) or there is a specific problem with gccgo, and perhaps a more general
problem with the selection of architecture-related tools when invoking
dh_strip.

Paul