Re: outdated arm-linux-gnueabi compiler requirement

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 16:31:33 +0000
Pierre St-Germain <pstgermain@babytel.net> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your quick reply, sorry about the mailing list...

Also, avoid top-posting, it breaks the flow of the message.

> I cannot change the platform of the device...
> What would be the steps to be able to build a simple(Hello world)
> executable for this device(BusyBox v1.12.1 (Linux version 2.6.27, gcc
> 4.0.0)? Thanks again! Pierre St-G
>
> > There are no Emdebian toolchains available for Lenny.
>
> > > Please, I'm struggling for 3 weeks now, Can you help me?
>
> > Unlikely. You would need to rebuild everything on the system and
> > there is no guarantee that the code would even compile with gcc-4.4,
> > plus issues of changes in the kernel between 2.6.27 and 3.2.
>
> > I think you may have to consider this as a non-upgradeable system
> > when you consider how much work it will be to get it running up to
> > date software.

There is no toolchain available from Emdebian to compile anything for
this obsolete device. There probably is no room on the device to install
a toolchain to build anything natively, even if those binaries were
available from snapshots.debian.org.

gcc-4.0 predates any of the current advice on how to build a
cross-compiler. I've no idea how to build a cross-compiler using a
version of gcc that old.

Emdebian toolchains were never covered by snapshots or other archive
software - once removed, they have gone forever - and Emdebian has
never had enough resources to keep endless archives.

You would have to find a way to build a cross-compiler out of gcc-4.0
and with all the other dependencies required for this set of libraries.
Some of those dependencies would have to be cross-built, leading to a
chicken-and-egg bootstrapping problem.

Emdebian cannot help you with that - that is why you may have to
consider this as a non-upgradeable system - you can change things which
don't need compilation (interpreted scripts, depending on what is
actually installed) and that is about all you can expect.

If you cannot upgrade all of the software to at least Squeeze, you
won't be looking at any new compiled software on that device without
enormous amounts of work. None of that work will be useful or
interesting to anyone else, so you won't get any support and none of
your fixes will be accepted upstream.

If you cannot change the platform, change the device.