Re: outdated arm-linux-gnueabi compiler requirement

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:40:59 +0000
Pierre St-Germain <pstgermain@babytel.net> wrote:

> Hi Neil,

Please use the mailing list, not personal email.

> I have a BusyBox v1.12.1 (Linux version 2.6.27, gcc 4.0.0)

Linux 2.6 is probably too old to support. The oldest linux kernel in
Debian is 3.2

gcc 4.0.0 is certainly too old to support. 4.3.5 is only available in
Squeeze, the release after Lenny. gcc-4.4 is the oldest supportable
compiler and 4.6 or 4.8 is where you should be aiming. However, most
source code of a vintage matching gcc-4.0 will *not* compile on gcc-4.7
or later, so the source code would have to be updated as well. Whether
that updated code would work (or even fit) on the original device is
something you would only know after doing all of the work yourself.

> That I try to build an application with "gcc-4.3-arm-linux-gnueabi"
> for this platform but I have problems to execute it, ./hello6: error
> while loading shared libraries: ./hello6: cannot handle TLS data I'm
> suspecting the librairy compatibility issue,
>
> I tried to install an older version of gcc 4.0.0 but I cannot,
> I tried on a Debian Lenny installation to install
> "gcc-3.4-arm-linux-gnu" from "deb http://www.emdebian.org/debian
> lenny main" But it failed with: Failed to fetch
> http://www.emdebian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gcc-4.3/gcc-4.3-arm-linux-gnu-base_4.3.2-1.1_i386.deb
> 404 Not Found ...

Lenny is no longer available in that repo - the entry in the dists
directory should have been removed by now but there is ongoing work on
cleaning up the toolchain repo. I'm not actually involved in that.

There are no Emdebian toolchains available for Lenny.

> Please, I'm struggling for 3 weeks now, Can you help me?

Unlikely. You would need to rebuild everything on the system and there
is no guarantee that the code would even compile with gcc-4.4, plus
issues of changes in the kernel between 2.6.27 and 3.2.

I think you may have to consider this as a non-upgradeable system when
you consider how much work it will be to get it running up to date
software.