Re: Unable to determine your tty name error.

On Saturday 11 May 2013 10:12:39 mind entropy wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 2:32 AM, Paul Boddie <paul@boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I found that even though multistrap elevates its privileges using sudo,
> > the resulting filesystem hierarchy preserves the original user's
> > permissions. Consequently, the booted system didn't like various files
> > having the wrong uid. I may have discovered this previously and had noted
> > in my own instructions that multistrap needs to be run as root or using
> > sudo (unless anyone can advise me differently), but this time I assumed
> > that when multistrap invoked sudo everything would end up being owned by
> > root.

[...]

> I am using sudo itself to archive and zip up the rootfs.
> I use -->  tar -cpjvf <filename.tar.bz2> . --numeric-owner

What does the ownership and permissions of the top level of your multistrapped
filesystem look like (along with things like /etc/shadow)? My mistake of not
running multistrap itself using sudo meant that everything was owned by my
own unprivileged user rather than root, which then caused problems on the
target system.

Paul