Re: Unable to determine your tty name error.

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 2:32 AM, Paul Boddie <paul@boddie.org.uk> wrote:
On Thursday 09 May 2013 20:00:01 Paul Boddie wrote:
> Just following up to myself, having attempted to repeat my previous
> experiments with wheezy-grip...

And just adding to the noise even more - sorry about this! - I discovered that
I had failed to follow my own instructions properly...

> On Thursday 09 May 2013 18:06:52 Paul Boddie wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 May 2013 17:09:39 mind entropy wrote:
> > > Now I get the following error:
> > >
> > > login: PAM Failure, aborting: Critical error - immediate abort
>
> After completing the initial package configuration of a multistrapped
> system and having made an attempt to remove the root password (which may or
> may not have done anything, but there isn't a root password afterwards,
> anyway), I then cannot set a root password and get the following error:
>
> passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
> passwd: password unchanged

I no longer experience this problem.

I found that even though multistrap elevates its privileges using sudo, the
resulting filesystem hierarchy preserves the original user's permissions.
Consequently, the booted system didn't like various files having the wrong
uid. I may have discovered this previously and had noted in my own
instructions that multistrap needs to be run as root or using sudo (unless
anyone can advise me differently), but this time I assumed that when
multistrap invoked sudo everything would end up being owned by root.

> There are also odd things like trying to ping another host while logged in
> as the root user and getting the following error:
>
> ping: ping must run as root
>
> (That said, I'm not completely sure that the kernel is as happy as it was
> under Squeeze.)

This is now gone, too.

> Trying to add a new user with adduser gets the following error when setting
> a password:
>
> chfn: PAM: Authentication failure
> adduser: `/usr/bin/chfn paulb' returned error code 1. Exiting.

This is also gone as well.

> Upon rebooting and attempting to log in, I get the previously stated error
> message flashed up briefly on the display after trying to log in as root or
> my perhaps unsuccessfully created user:
>
> Unable to determine your tty name

Gone!

> I'm using the same kernel as before, which is a mipsel 3.3.8 Linux kernel
> built using the OpenWrt toolchain. So perhaps there's some incompatibility
> between kernel and user space.

So this was just me not following instructions written down a few months
ago. :-/

However, it does potentially inform the discussion because I can now verify
that an Emdebian wheezy-grip installation will work with the device
configuration previously mentioned, and I can remind myself and others that
the ownership of the multistrapped filesystem hierarchy has to be checked
before it gets transferred to the target system. ;-)

Paul

I am using sudo itself to archive and zip up the rootfs.
I use -->  tar -cpjvf <filename.tar.bz2> . --numeric-owner

/etc/passwd:
root::0:0:/root:/bin/sh
bin:x:1:1:bin:/dev/null:/bin/false
nobody:x:99:99:Unprivileged user:/dev/null:/bin/false

/etc/group:
root:x:0
bin:x:1
nogroup:x:99