Re: Where can I find Emdebian Tools to ETCH (not Lenny or newer)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 00:49:19 +0100
"christoph.plattner@gmx.at" <christoph.plattner@gmx.at> wrote:

> I cannot find the old archive of Emdebian matching to Debian Etch (=

Emdebian does not have the luxury of snapshots.debian.org or
archive.debian.org or some other means of endless storage. Toolchains
can be very large and must be regularly deleted from the server.

The Etch packages were probably deleted around the time that Squeeze
entered release freeze.

> Why are those archives deleted ????

The server at that time ran out of space and there was insufficient
funding to extend the storage. There has been a change of server since
then but there is no prospect of any Emdebian server having permanent
archive storage.

> It is ok, that those releases are moved to special archive folders,
> as done with
> Debian ETCH. But please do not remove them completely. Where can I
> find them ???

These files no longer exist, unless someone outside the project
happened to archive them. If they have, they haven't told us (yet) that
they did so.

Emdebian is working on getting toolchains available via Debian, in
which case the existing volunteers in Debian may be happy to retain old
copies in archive.debian.org but the inevitable truth is that Lenny
packages in Emdebian will go to /dev/null just as soon as Jessie enters
the release cycle next year, if not sooner.

Emdebian cannot provide archived copies of everything. Storage may be
cheap but it is not free and Emdebian is a volunteer project funded by
goodwill only.

If people need to keep copies of old packages, those copies need to be
managed outside of the Emdebian project.