Re: Cross-compiling debian packages for arm - an automated way?

On 14 August 2013 22:54, Bill Gatliff <bgat@billgatliff.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Baurzhan Ismagulov <ibr@radix50.net>
>> I'm using SLIND with bitbake. SLIND is an implementation towards the
>> vision of Crush (but predates it), hacky at places, but it works.
>> Bitbake is the build system of OpenEmbedded.
>
> Would running debian-arm* under qemu work better?  Then you could go for
> native compilation...

Here's an idea that I find very interesting:
Use Aboriginal Linux[1] to provide a minimal cross-built environment
for QEMU (or real hardware) which is capable of doing native building
(already available). Then teach Debian to bootstrap itself from this
minimal environment (libc + shell + make + gcc). Aboriginal Linux
currently has a control-image Linux From Scratch (a disk image with
automated build scripts running on target/QEMU). Now it only needs a
control-image for Debian :-)

http://landley.net/aboriginal/