Re: binutils debian cross build misses ldscripts

+++ Franz Zinn [2013-01-02 14:42 +0000]:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build a cross version of binutils (Squeeze version
> 2.20.1) using the directions in debian/README.cross with the command
> line
>
> TARGET=sparc fakeroot debian/rules binary-cross

Hmm. I use TARGET=sparc dpkg-buildpackage

the binary-cross target now says:
"Please use dpkg-buildpackage instead of calling binary-cross
directly; see README.cross"

That's true in the 2.22 ansd 2.23 I have to hand. Appraently there
have been changes here since squeeze. It probably amounts to the same
thing, but I'd check and see if that makes any difference for you.

I've never tested a sparc build in my life, but I do know that the
cross-build packaging for binutils is generally in good shape and
works well for armhf/armel/arm64

> However trying to assemble and link for a sun4 system (-m sun4
> argument to sparc-linux-gnu-ld ), results in a error that
> ldscripts/sun4.x is not found.
>
> Indeed the cross build process does not install the ldscripts into the
> deb package, even though the are generated and can be found in the
> builddir-sparc-linux-gnu directory.
>
> Is this a bug or feature ? Is there any easy (automated) way to do
> build a package with the ldscripts included.

The build above should work - if it doesn't that's a bug. The sparc
packaging has probably just got bit-rot because it's not being used
much, but if you are lucky it's because you are using an outdated
build rune.

BTW I have submitted a bug to normalise these cross-runes between
packages (so we don't have 'TARGET' for binutils and 'GCC_TARGET' for
gcc. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=695595 so at
some point the official build runes should become:

DEB_TARGET_ARCH=<arch> dpkg-buildpackage -b

http://wookware.org/