multilib thumb code for arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc

hello emdebian people,

as a part of my itp #691349 for libopencm3, i'm evaluating the compiler
options for building for bare metal arm cortex. (tiny devices, too small
to run linux.)

things work very well so far using the emdebian
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc-4.7 compiler, to the point of building all
required cortex libraries and third party examples. just: i have to
avoid using any standard library, because everything in
/usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/lib/*.a is arm code (and not thumb2 code, as the
cortex devices would need it); same goes for
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabi/4.7/libgcc.a (no fpu, so every float
operation results in a function call). the linker puts all the code
together, but the mcu can't interpret the "jump and change instruction
set" instruction and faults.

now i've seen files like /usr/arm-none-eabi/lib/thumb/cortex-m3/libc.a
in what summon-arm-toolchain[1] generates; if i understand it correctly,
there, gcc at build time is instructed to use multilib to dispatch to
the thumb/cortex-m3/ directories based on compiler flags.

to state it quite bluntly: i want such files, and i want them in
debian.

what do i need to do to make that happen?

thanks
chrysn

ps: talking about what i want -- i'd also prefer the compiler to be
installable from the main repositories. is my understanding correct that
those packages will migrate to debian main as soon as wheezy is released
and we can rely on the infrastructure to accept multiarch depends across
architecture boundaries?

[1] https://github.com/esden/summon-arm-toolchain

  -- Bene Gesserit axiom