Re: cross-compiler for powerpc

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 01:58:41PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:20:47 +0200
> ternaryd <ternaryd@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > I will have a look at Thibault which I didn't even notice when googling
> > for cross-compiling under debian. OTOH, I would have expected new things
> > to work on sid before on squeeze.
>
> Nah, what happens is that everything breaks in unstable then gets fixed
> during the release freeze when the speed of uploads slows down and we
> get time to catch up. So we end up with the opposite - things in
> unstable are nearly always broken, get fixed (possibly) very close to
> the next stable release and then stay fixed in stable. That isn't going
> to happen this time as the next stable release (wheezy) will not have a
> fully-implemented MultiArch system capable of supporting
> cross-building, so the recommendation for wheezy is still to use the
> toolchains built and packaged for squeeze. It's *possible* (but only
> possible) that Thibault's work could be backported to Wheezy after the
> release. Thibault - do you want to comment on that?

s:Thibault:Thibaut: ;)

Minus the C++ issue (libstdc++6-4.7-dev not being M-A: same), multiarch
cross-toolchains are already usable. The gcc patches are based on sid's
gcc-4.7 and can easily be backported to the version currently in wheezy.

I've successfully built armel and armhf cross-compilers in the past, as
well as an amd64 cross-compiler for i386. I've just successfully built a
single-lib powerpc cross-compiler, but since ppc64 libs are not in the
archive, it would probably make sense to have a multilib cross-compiler
with ppc64 support. I'm working on that right now.

Regards,
Thibaut Girka.