Re: cross-compiler for powerpc

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:07:32 +0200
ternaryd <ternaryd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:03:09 +0100
> Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Add an apt source for backports when using squeeze.
>
> Thanks, this did work, mostly.

What do you mean mostly?

> > Add an apt source for your preferred Debian mirror pointing at
> > squeeze when using sid.
>
> Also this did work, mostly. While I was able to build all libraries on
> squeeze, xapt failed on sid. For instance, trying to build the postgres
> client library:
>
> xapt -a powerpc libpq-dev
>
> Download complete and in download only mode
> Use of qw(...) as parentheses is deprecated at /usr/bin/dpkg-cross line 1046.
> dpkg-cross: Skipping Multi-Arch package 'zlib1g_1%3a1.2.7.dfsg-13_powerpc.deb'.

Use the -m switch to xapt when there are packages which are Multi-Arch
compliant in the dependency chain.

If these are omissions in the wiki page, feel free to update the wiki
page.

There is a lot more going on here than you may expect and building
cross-toolchains on sid is probably best left to Thibault for genuine
Multi-Arch support.

If you just want a cross-compiler for powerpc, forget sid. Use
Squeeze, build for squeeze and xapt doesn't need to look at Multi-Arch.