Re: Configuring foreign packages without qemu in order to boot a system

On Monday 03 September 2012 09:20:02 Neil Williams wrote:

> > Note that this has been fixed on Ubuntu so that a standard
> > dpkg-buildpackage -a<arch> will cross-build the kernel. That may well
> > make its way into the Debian packaging as it's not a big change AIUI.
>
> It's not about the Ubuntu or Debian packaging - there a is build-deb
> script in the tarballs from kernel.org and it is this which is native
> only. Fixing this in Ubuntu won't work - someone needs to push it into
> mainline.
>
> This is about building a linux-image_$version_armel.deb just by
> unpacking the kernel.org tarball and running make menuconfig ; make.

Actually, I was referring to the Debian kernel packages originally, and it
would be those packages I'd use to build the kernel. My impression of
upstream "in-project" Debian packaging is that it's against policy: debian
directories and their contents should be separate unless the package is
inherently Debian, which of course the kernel is not.

But then again, I don't see that going on in a kernel.org archive for 2.6.39,
either, so maybe this is just a matter of some other upstream packaging that
isn't up to the job. Either way, I wouldn't be looking in the kernel.org
sources for any Debian-related stuff.

But I imagine we all know the score about what can and cannot be cross-built
now. :-)

Paul