Re: xapt created inconsistencies

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 21:20:47 +0100
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> In general, for a less stressful life with xapt, use a pbuilder chroot
> where the cross dependencies are thrown away. This is recommended in
> the xapt man page. There's a big section called Limitations in the xapt
> manpage which explicitly covers this.
>
> If you try to use xapt to upgrade -cross dependencies in place then you
> *will* get all the hassle you have thereby requested.

<snip>

> xapt will generally break anything where you are expecting it to
> upgrade existing -cross dependencies unless you are v.v.v.v.careful.
> i.e. I routinely get away with it because I wrote the xapt code but most
> people won't because that would require xapt to be clever.
>
> Hint: never upgrade -cross dependencies. Yes, I did say never.

<snip>

> Don't expect it to do clever stuff and you won't be disappointed.

OK, point taken.  chroot, nothing clever, things will probably break
otherwise. Got it :)

> (If anyone thinks upgrading cross dependencies is easy, talk to some of
> the people working on MultiArch cross-build toolchains and cross-arch
> dependencies.)

I don't think this stuff is easy, hopefully I'm not coming across
otherwise.

Thanks for your input and for your contributions to Emdebian / xapt,
I've found both to be very useful and helpful!

-Andrew